Thursday, May 2, 2013

My 2013 Summer Reading List

I've always been a bit of a book junky. There's just something about opening up a new book and getting completely lost inside of it, not to mention, I could probably spend all day in a good book store. Each summer I create a little list of the books I want to try to read that summer, so here's my 2013 list! 

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8 // 9

Now, I kind of realize I probably won't be able to read all of these books, as the Game of Thrones and the Robin Hobb trilogy are all quite lengthy books, but I'd like to make it through as many as I can before school starts up again. 

One, Two, & Three: I'm going to group all of these together because.. well, they all tie in together. Series books are always my favorites, and I started reading the Game of Thrones series last summer. I managed to get my way through the first two books, but had to stop about 100 pages into the third one, A Storm of Swords, because school had started back up. If you haven't heard about this series.. well, you may or may not have been hiding under a rock somewhere, haha. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy the books! It takes a little while to get into them, but once you're in.. there isn't any turning back. BUT, as Curtis so kindly reminded me while I was talking to him about my summer reading list over dinner the other night, George R.R. Martin is extremely slow when it comes to writing the books, and he still has two more to write/release. So, I may just read the third one this summer (probably the fourth as well), and leave the fifth for next summer.. and then pray that he gets done with the sixth book soon! I definitely recommend these bad boys if you enjoy a good fantasy story, and one intriguing story line as well.  

Four: Well, I actually just finished The Great Gatsby on Sunday, so technically it shouldn't be on here.. but it was apart of my original list I made a couple of weeks ago, so I'll keep it up. I actually hadn't ever read the novel before, but I've been wanting to for years and years. Plus, I'm one of those people that has to read the book before seeing the movie.. and since it's about to come out next week, I had to read it ASAP! I did enjoy it, but I'm not too sure Fitzgerald's writing style is one of my favorites. I found myself confused at times, and the story line was a little lackluster. But, that's not to say I didn't like it. I'm sure Hollywood will add much more glamour and excitement than my own imagination did (okay, I know they did because the trailer looks amazing!). All-in-all, I didn't over analyze this one like I know I probably could have, I just wanted to read it for enjoyment. Maybe there are secret little meanings behind things like you would have had to pick out in your English classes, but.. I didn't. Lazy? Yes, but then again, finals are next week. 


Five: I honestly don't know much about the Catcher in the Rye, but I've owned the book for quite sometime, and just never got around to read it. So, I'm pretty excited to read another classic this summer. If anyone has read it, let me know how you felt about it! 

Six: Another book I don't know too much about, but I'm really excited to read. As a die-hard Harry Potter fan, I'm more than willing to read another one of J.K. Rowling's novels.. even if Harry, Ron, and Hermione aren't going to be apart of it. Again, if anyone else has read it already, did you like it? I read the short blurb one day, and it sounded pretty interesting to me. (British obsessed, sorry I'm not sorry.)

Seven, Eight, & Nine: Robin Hobb has to be one of my absolute favorite authors. She has multiple trilogies that all tie in together (see, series books are my thang, y'all), and man, they are so original and absolutely addicting. I read the first two trilogy series (how the heck do you make series plural? haha) a couple of years ago, and would've read this third series last summer, but I got sucked into Game of Thrones. So, I'm happy to say, I am so excited to be getting back these books. Once again, I'm a big big fan of fantasy, and I realize that not everyone is (...aka most of my friends and my mom).. but if you are, you should definitely give these books a try. The Farseer Trilogy is the first series, and it takes you through the young life of a character named Fitz Chivalry and all of his adventures. Sounds corny, but believe me, it isn't. The second set, also known as the Liveship Traders series, takes you through the hardships of a character names Althea Vestrit, who is on a mission to take back her family's ship. I don't want to go too into it all, but.. yeah, they're really really good. This third series goes back to Fitz Chivalry, so I'm pretty excited to get back into it all. 

Now that I've made myself look like a big 'ol nerd, I hope you guys got some inspiration or maybe ideas for your own summer reading list! Does anyone else have some books in mind that you've been dying to read? I'd love to hear all about it. 



13 comments:

  1. I'm a big reader too! I have a hard time starting books sometimes but once I do, it's ALL I want to do until it's finished!

    My favorite author is Jodi Picoult. If you haven't read any of her books, you definitely should. I highly recommend My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, and Keeping Faith. Amazing books.

    I haven't read Game of Thrones but the TV show is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. summer reading is a favorite past time for sure. i have several fitzgerald books i need to read, too. thanks for the suggestions :)

    your newest follower :)

    adventure-on.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I zoomed through the Song of Ice and Fire series last year and now I'm impatiently waiting for book 6!

    Warning about The Casual Vacancy - it wasn't very good! I read it for a book club, and I would say everyone else hated it, while I said it was "just okay." I hadn't read any Harry Potter, but everyone said it was not at all similar. TCV is just very dark and depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! It's definitely on the list after Game of Thrones, the other Trilogy and Catcher in the Rye.. so I probably wouldn't have been able to get to it this summer anyway. But, nice to know I probably shouldn't spend the money on it! If I have time, I'll see if I can't borrow it from the library. Thanks, Andi :)

      Delete
  4. The three in the middle caught my attention, as well as the series of George R.R. Martin =D
    Thanks for the recommendations, I’m a book junkie too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving Game of thrones! I am almost done with the first book :) I have been wanting to read Great Gatsby for years as well but I have read other books from that time frame and they were a bit drab I hope this one isn't as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. The Great Gatsby, honestly, was just kind of odd. I don't know if it was the writing style or what, but I was just left say.."wait, what?" a lot, and it's a good thing it was really short, or else I might not have read the entire thing. But, it is an American classic, so I feel like it deserves some praise? haha I don't know.

      But, Game of Thrones.. SO STINKING GOOD. I've missed it so much this past year. Plus, we watched the first season on HBO last year, but we didn't want to pay for it anymore, so I've really been wanting to watch the second season. Third too, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. I'm a huge reader, too. It's my favorite thing. Ever. I would definitely rather read than watch TV or a movie. There's something amazing about being sucked into a good story! I purchased The Game of Thrones box set (It just has the first 4) and I'm waiting until this summer to dive in. I'm so excited as I've heard awesome things about them! I also have never read The Great Gatsby, and I'm thinking it will be next on my list. I think I might have to look into the Robin Hobbs books...thanks for the recommendation!

    xo Ashley
    Twenties Girl Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. George RR Martin's books have been on my to read list for a long time :p and I'll have to check out the Robin Hobb books now!

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Petite Anglaise the book ^^
    Nice selection though :) and lovely blog
    I am now following :D
    Hope you can visit mine and if you like, follow as well :)
    << From Brussels, with Love>>

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Catcher in the Rye is SO GOOD! I love that book sooo much. I'm with you on Gatsby, though. I didn't love it, but maybe I need to re-read it. I can't wait until I can read for fun again...a year from now when I have graduated, I'll get working on my own reading list :)

    theoriginalbrynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, yay! I'm super excited to read the Catcher in the Rye!
      And yes, I'll be glad when I'm done with school and I can just read whenever I feel like it. Not just over summer or Christmas breaks.

      Delete
  10. The only one I've read is "Casual Vacancy." It's... different. Really depressing, kind of a dark look on humanity and not at all similar to HP. But, it is really well-written (of course)and interesting. I'm interested to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the wonderful comments, I love reading and replying to them all. If you have a question, don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...