Items needed for braided headband:
- 1/2 a yard of fabric (it'll be more than enough, but you'll have lots of extra fabric to make more things!)
- Woven elastic (its generally sold at any crafts store near the fabric section)
- A needle
1. For these, you'll need about a 1/2 a yard of fabric, choose any color you'd like, any pattern, anything will look awesome! Then, cut three strips about half an inch thick.
2. Pin the three strips together with one of the two pins at one end of all of the fabric, one on top of the other.
3. You might need someone else's assistance for this next part, or a very heavy book; braid the three pieces of fabric together until you reach the end, then pin the other end of the fabric together with the second pin.
4. Thread the needle with the thread and tie the thread so that it won't slip off of the needle while you are sewing, and then take the strip of woven elastic and place it onto of one end of the pinned together fabric.
5. Start sewing the fabric and elastic together; I like to make lots of loops around the outside of both sides to make sure the fabric and elastic are sewn together well. Also, make sure to get all of the fabric sewn onto the elastic. Then, cut the thread that is connected to the needle (leave enough so that you can tie it in a few knots), and then cut the thread that is still connected to the spool, then tie those two strings together in about four knots.
6. Next, place the braided fabric around the top of your head, like you would a headband, and measure how much elastic you are going to need for the back of the headband around the back of your head. I like to pull it tight so that I know the headband is going to stay on my head while I'm wearing it. Hold the place where you've measured with your finger, and then cut the elastic.
7. Repeat step five on the other side of the fabric.
8. Cut off any excess fabric that may be on the ends after you've sewn on the elastic, and you are good to go! :)